Siddharth Jain-Toppers strategy (AIR 13, 2015)
UPSC PERFORMANCE GRAPH -Siddharth Jain
Attempts – first genuine attempt (But actually second)
|PAPER 1 -128||PAPER 2 -160|
Mains and Interview marks-
|ESSAY -142||GENERAL STUDIES 4 -99|
|GENERAL STUDIES 1-103||OPTIONAL 1 -114|
|GENERAL STUDIES 2-082||OPTIONAL 2 -154|
|GENERAL STUDIES 3-97||INTERVIEW -187|
Optional subject: Mathematics
MAINS Total–791 + Interview–187 => Final–978
Rank – 13
Daily routine for UPSC preparation
- Set targets for yourself:Prepare a short and a long term time table and follow it judiciously.If you lack the will,join some test series(the deadlines for test series will keep you on track).Giving yourself a target will keep your mind focused.
- Study momentum:If possible join a library or reading room.Having a good ambience to study generally benefits.Select an optional that you love.So that if you get bored with studies , you can go through it.
- Mood Swings :Do some form of mental exercise.I used to meditate(Vipassana meditation).One can do some breath exercises or Yoga.
- Distractions:Use smart technology in a smart way.Dont get too much swayed away by your friends party bash pics on facebook.Just realize that you need to take care of yourself for 2-3 years and for the rest of life the government of India will take care of you 😉 .Take some break to freshen yourself up regularly.
Other than this one can listen to motivational songs,watch some motivational movies.(Pursuit of happiness , is one such movie)
UPSC INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE
Manbir sir was the chairman & approx 30 minutes.
Me:may i come in.
ch: come in,have a seat.
ch:why do u want to join ifos
me:mam , it will give me an opportunity to contribute both in the short and long term
me:(something about sustainable development and how a forest officer can cntribute towards the same)
ch:how mch CO2 is there in atmosphere?
me:400 ppm as per recent study
ch:how does it harm us?
me:(global warming and stuff)
ch:what is gutenberg discontinuity?
Me:i answered bt got confused with mohos discontuinity
ch:if start drilling the earth and tell what metals will you u find?
m1:what is special in your college , tell related to ur own department?
me:sir, it is one f d oldest mechanical department (and den jst added non sense points, got a bit nervous )
m1:ur achievements as mechanical engineer?
me:(i jst graduated in 2014 and was not into technical side , so cudnt answer properly )
m1:tell me about rajaji park?
me:(answered,it is spread over 3 districts(elephants etc)
m1:no , pinpoint the bird species there
me:sorry sir, i am not aware.
me:getting killed due to accidents , no proper elephant corridors etc (but not convinced)
m2:how will u use mechanical engineering in ifos
me:sir by using knowledge of material science can find some suitable replacement for timber like composites,can modernize our process of transporting logs by conveyor belts, cuuting of trees by mechanised saw mills etc…(got convinced)
m2:use of forest
me:food,fodder,raw material,pool of genetic resources,medicinal plants,asthetic significance
m2:mam asked u abt earth’s crust.relate the crust with forest and urself and analyse
me:(no clue wat he wanted)i said the crust provides soil, soil supports trees ,grasses,then come grazers ,den carinvores etc .humans like me , use the forest for (the points mentioned above).and after this we humans contribute back via afforestation , preserving forest etc.(somehow he was v. convinced)
m2:we preserve forest.differentiate btw protected and reserve forest
m2:what is keystone species?
m3:your hobby isis meditation.
me:told a prepared definition.
m3:which meditation u do?
me:i am inclined towards vipassana
me:told some reasons.
m3:what is tm?
me:the abbreviation for transcendent meditation
m3:tell about it
m3:who discovered it
me:sry sir, i dont know
m3:tell us carbon credit
me:(i felt thirsty ) i asked if i cud hv sum water.,(chairman interrupted and said to tell abt carbon trading, carbon footprint etc).i expalined them
ch:how is carbon emmision calculated
me:told sumthing(not very convinced,i myself was not convinced)
ch:tell us something abt ur carbon emmission today.
me:(little confused)i told for example while coming from home , i used car , dat adds to my carbon emmission,den my carbon emmission is a bit more in this room because i am a little nervous(fast breathing)..(dey smiled )
ch:where do we trade carbon
m3:in what field of forest are u interstd
me:(was not prepared for this)sir,trees
m3:name 5 species
m3:u r interested in kejri??
me:hmm sir i was born in rajasthan , and i know a little about it
m3:which national park have u visited
me:sir madhav national park
ch:but all animals are in captivity there?
ch:ok u may leave
|% in class 10||96|
|% in class 12||91|
|Graduation course and %||Mechanical engineering|
|Name of college, city, passing out year||IIT Roorkee,2014|
|Any other professional courses||Nops|
|Hobbies & Extracurricular achievements||Vipassana meditation (mentioned in DAF),Other than that I am a sport lover and I play many sports|
1:Chose the correct optional.Do not follow the crowd.
2:Do not chose a graduation subject just because it will help in UPSC.Chose a subject which is an end in itself,i.e. which will provide you with good job and backup.
3:Take care of your physical(Do regular exercise,eat healthy) and mental health(meditate or do yoga)
4:Have a good command over the medium(language) of the exam i.e. if you chose English you should be good at English language skills
5:Do not give your first attempt just for the sake of clearing prelims.Else you will waste the time between prelims and mains.
6:Be humble and try to learn as much as possible.Have a curious mind.
WISDOM OF LIFE :Do not take your life very seriously.Enjoy the process.Do not associate yourself with this body and mind.Realize the temporal nature of life.
Special credits & thanks to Siddharth Jain
If you are new here, DISCOVER MORE DEDICATED SERVICES FROM US
- DAILY MAINS QUESTIONS WITH ANSWER REVIEW: First and only series with daily UPSC GS syllabus wise questions answer writing module and answer review by experts (master pro).
- DAILY CAPSULE @7PM– Most popular series from us with daily HINDU NOTES + PIB NOTES + PRELIMS QUIZ together in a capsule free.
- PRELIMS 90 DAYS TEST SERIES is the most rated service from us which allows you to cover full UPSC prelims syllabus in just 90 days with proper revision. This include 29 Quality tests and revision series with performance analysis.
- MASTER PRO SERIES – is a dedicated Mains series with daily ANSWER REVIEW BY EXPERTS and performance analysis including MASTER MODULE. This is the only online series in india with full fledged live support.
- MONTHLY HINDU NOTES– Hindu is the bible for upsc aspirants & Hindu notes are precious. We provides monthly magazine which is unique with date wise & upsc syllabus wise arranged monthly compilation.
- MONTHLY PIB MAGAZINE – If you went to delhi,you can see our magazine being sold in every shops you visits. This is the best compilation & first ever initiative which covers full month wise PIB releases.
- FREE DOWNLOADS – Everything needed for upsc preparation available in our Download zone absolutely free. NCERTs, Standard texts, Reference materials, Books for almost all optionals free download provided.
- Toppers recommended books– For those who prefers hard copy to study,we compiled Top 10 MUST BUY books for upsc aspirants to make your journey easier.You can buy online & pay cash on delivery from leading portals like amazon.
- DAILY MASTER MODULE- This is a precious pdf material from us coming daily basis. This includes HINDU notes GS syllabus topic wise sorted + PIB daily notes + Prelims Quiz + 8 editorials soft copy of all leading newspapers. Per day cost less than 50 paise where single newspaper costs over Rs. 6/-
- DAILY 8 EDITORIAL ANALYSIS – No others provides you 8 editorial analysis and soft copies on daily basis. Never miss any important editorials. We compile all important ones in single pdf daily.
- JOIN WITH US– If you feels that you are an expert & you can do more or any of these in better way!!! Then join with us and contribute your knowledge to help LAKHS of IASTODAY readers.You can write articles or contribute new initiatives.
OUR 24X7 Customer care: Care@iastoday.in